[geeks] FYI: CompUSA is offering OS X 10.5 for $99 (after rebate)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Oct 25 20:36:03 CDT 2007

>From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2007/10/25 Thu PM 03:45:52 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] FYI: CompUSA is offering OS X 10.5 for $99 (after rebate)

>On Oct 25, 2007, at 11:47 AM, Bill Bradford wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 10:54:02AM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>> CompUSA stores are disappearing?
>>
>> Yeah, more than half of them closed over the past year.
>
>Interesting.  Didn't know that.
>
>I guess the lemmings have stopped falling for the high prices?

CompUSA was bought out by a Mexican investor (doing the job other invetors weren't willing to do? ;^), and he wanted to trim operating costs to increase profits...

>I wonder if this could help the old computer stores start appearing
>again?

Have you noticed that the Geek Squad and FireDog (Best Buy and Circuit City) have started advertising more - they want to fill the void... CompUSA did a lot of computer "repairs" for clueless users (meaning they couldn't fix their own problems) - I think there was real money in the business, but not enough to justify the large, cavernous stores full of expensive merchandise in prime retail locations.

>Places like CompUSA drove them out of business before.

The local PC places we had before were worse, to be honest - machines/parts were over priced, and their service was provided by snot-nosed kids (at least that's how it was in my area - I knew some of the snot-nosed kids ;^).

I thought briefly about opening a computer repair business when the local CompUSA closed, but decided not to...

<snip>

>Same for pizza.  Dominos and the other big one in the 80s killed all
>of the mom-n-pop pizzerias, and now the little shops are popping up
>again all over the place.

My little town has 5 pizza shops (meaning restaurants with Pizza ovens), and the town is only 1 mile square!

We've got Wildflower's - a local bar that serves good pizza.

Then there is Marco's - it is right NEXT to Wildflower's - they serve "gourmet" pizza.

In town we have Vito's - classic Pizza Parlor, but they just tarted it up and now it looks like an italian restaurant with way too many lights.

On the highway we have TJ's - again, a classic pizza parlor (order at the counter, mainly sells slices), and they are located next to TJ's Trattoria - a full-service italian restaurant.

Further up the highway we have Pennington Pizza - a classic Pizza parlor with gawd-awful pizza ( they are right next to a chinese restaruant that is also gawd-awful, CHeng;'s Kitchen).

And just another block up the highway we have Barone's Tuscany Grille - a massively over-priced italian restaurant with good food.

I guess that is six - my bad...

(there are two more italian restaurnat in town, but they do not serve pizza - one is called Avanti, and the food is pretty good, but it is tiny and expensive, the other is named (I shit you not) "Za", and they sell no pizza at all - my wife likes it (I can't be bothered to try another italian restaurant).

We eat a lot pizza in my town...

Lionel