[geeks] Diesel test revisted

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Oct 25 16:59:24 CDT 2007

Nuts, I messed up my reply to the diesel aptitude test.

I said I got them all right, but I actually scored 82 percent.
However, I reviewed the question and checked them against my physics
book, and my score should have been almost perfect.

Several of the questions are either plain wrong, or worded badly.

No test is perfect, but I like the mental work in reviewing ones like
this, so:

Question 7: I think they have this wrong.  They say that D is reverse
and A is reduction.

I disagree, depending on the overall design of a transmission.  The
problem with this question is that it really can't be answered.  Gear
A reverses direction and does reduction.  Whether or not it results
in reverse travel depends on the rest of the system.

I'm not sure how they expected those questions to be answered without
more information.

Question 8: They claim answer two, but I submit answer three is
correct.  They use the terms turn and rotate as if they meant
different things, but they don't.  I assumed rotate referred to the
set of planet gears, and turn referred to the individual gears.  I
actually thought about which way they meant, and there really isn't
enough information to determine that, so I just picked one.

They should have clarified the question so it was obvious which
direction referred to individual gears and which referred to the set
of them.

Question 38: They say the fan will rotate in the same direction.  You
could answer either way, depending on how you visualize the fans when
answering the question.  The question didn't specify if the answer
should be relative to their positions, or relative to the fans
themselves.  I answered thinking of the latter because of how other
questions in the test were worded.

Question 48: They say the air enters the cylinder due to atmospheric
pressure.

Incorrect.  Pressure is a factor, not a cause.  Try putting a
pressure neutral cylinder in an engine and see how well it runs.

In just about any modern engine, back pressure is far greater than
atmospheric pressure, and the engine would simply not run at all if
you only relied on the cylinder matching air pressure, effectively
just "getting out of the way".

Now, I'll carefully avoid talking about the ones that I really did
screw up on... :)

Oh, what the hell: two pulley questions, and the pipe pressure question.

And, um... the balloon one.  Yeah, really.  I missed the easiest one
on the whole test.

What sucks about missing those is I knew the answer to them, I just
didn't pay enough attention to the question.

Definitely don't get in a hurry taking this test.

Anyway, despite what I said above, this is a pretty good test.  I
think it needs some refinement as I mention above, but it is one of
the better ones I've seen.  Effectively presented too.