[geeks] Rant: Tech Regression

John Francini francini at mac.com
Thu Oct 25 14:06:21 CDT 2007

Actually, the problem they're trying to solve is "too much
[perceived] towel usage".  By carefully metering and controlling
towel dispensing, and making it costly in time to get more than one
or two towels, management hopes to save money. After all, if people
who used to use three towels now only use two, or the ones that used
two previously now use one, then management has 'saved money', at the
expense of convenience.

This sort of thing has been around for years; Georgia-Pacific sold
something for years called the "Cormatic", which was (and still is) a
mechanical towel-metering system.  I can remember such 'metering'
dispensers in the local supermarker bathroom when I was a kid, some 40
+ years ago.

It's just using newer technology for a time-honored purpose.