[geeks] Apple applications phoning home

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Wed Oct 24 08:51:08 CDT 2007

On 10/24/07, Mark <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 Oct 2007, at 03:56, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > Nah, it's pretty clear without coffee.  I like tea better anyway.
>
> I like tea too but the stuff they drink at work sucks.
>
> > Address Book needs a lot of work anyway.
> >
> > Having said that, like most Apple software, it has some surprising
> > features that really help you get things done.
>
> It's a very utilitarian app compared to most other Apple apps. It
> does the job, no questions asked. It has minimal 'whiz-bang'
> features. I kinda like it but it's a bit... well dull I guess.

I had a surprise feature in Address Book hit me the other day.  We
were going nuts trying to find a way to print several thousand Avery
address labels from a Mac.  The only templates we could find were for
Word, and they didn't line up quite perfectly if printed from
NeoOffice or Pages.  We spent a ton of time tweaking them to get them
to mostly line up, and then I needed to do a merge against the address
book.  While trying to get that to work I accidently hit Print while
the Address Book was the foremost app, and what do you know?  Address
Book has built in templates and printing for all Avery labels, no
external templates required!

I looked over at the people I was helping, and said "Of course, it's a
Mac, I should have tried the way that would make sense FIRST."

Cheers,

Caleb Shay

--
"In wine there is wisdom. In bier there is strength. In water there is
bacteria."

--German Proverb