[geeks] AAPL > IBM

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 14:14:21 CDT 2007

On 23 Oct 2007, at 17:56, Jonathan Katz wrote:

> As long as people keep buying iPhones...

There's got to be a reason people keep buying them, and iPods, and Macs?

> hard-soldered batteries that aren't user-replaceable.

I've yet to see an iPod with a soldered-in battery. I know for  a
fact that iPods Gen 1, 2, 3, 4, 4 Photo and 5 (Video), the Mini and
the Gen 1 Nano ALL have replaceable plug-in battery packs that you
can buy a kit with the required tool to do the job and clear
instructions for about $30.

The iPhone is a different kettle of fish, it DOES have a soldered
battery. I'd guess because of the similarities the iPod touch does
too (I don't class that as an iPod, screw the name!)

> The user-experience is pretty good, too, so people keep coming
> back. 2-3 years later you can get a gadget that does more for the
> same price (ipod goes from music only to music and pictures, then
> video,etc...)

That's debatable. A lot of iPod users on Windows have a frustrating
time, but even THEY still keep coming back.

> Same thing with the iPhone by locking it to a carrier and not making
> it easy to swap out batteries, etc. As time goes on those products may
> mature to be serviceable but only when the market penetration is so
> great it
> rivals that of Qualcomm or Motorola in the cellular market.

I'm sticking with HTC phones for now, They're cheap and cheerful PDA/
phones. Yeh they run Windows Mobile but they are pretty good for it
and to be honest they do everything i need. I have the same
reservations as you do about the iPhone - no cell phone I've had had
decent battery left when I traded it for the next one. I rarely call
out or receive calls, I'm pretty much SMS and e-mail only, BUT (and
this is a big but) I use a flat rate data contract, which means
constant air traffic 24/7.

> Wow. I can't believe I just spewed that kind of BS. I should be
> alongside
> Cramer on CNBC.

If you've read any of my mails on Address Book recently you'll know
you're not the only one :)

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: