[geeks] Apple applications phoning home

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 11:48:01 CDT 2007

On 23 Oct 2007, at 04:28, John Francini wrote:

> Re: the "does it or doesn't it if you don't have .Mac?" question.
>
> Very simple test.  Make another account on that machine.  Log in.  Do
> the preference-checking actions in question. The .Mac checking is
> user-account specific. If the user account isn't registered
> with .Mac, it shouldn't go on line to check.  If it does, then I'm
> wrong, and I'll eat my virtual Aussie hat.

It doesn't, so you can save yourself picking bits of cork and string
out of your teeth at least ;)

I think it only checks if the tick box is checked or has been checked
at some time, or there is or was a .Mac account configured at one time.

> Re: quoting going to heck:
>
> No problem; I know what I wrote; I don't think the quote mess-up was
> done deliberately or maliciously, so it's no big deal.  Or even a
> small one.

"He doesn't remember he was stoned!!!"
- quoted from 'The Deathbed Vigil, and other tales of digital angst',
a video aboutt he death of Commodore :)

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: