[geeks] Apple applications phoning home

John Francini francini at mac.com
Fri Oct 19 08:27:26 CDT 2007

Uh, no -- it's a half-a-bug.

If you turn off the Mac's network access via either unplugging the
Ethernet and/or turning off AirPort, it *will* work.  I think the
problem is that Address Book is not expecting to get a *block* on
Port 80, i.e., rejected.  If you can set your firewall to simply eat
the request without doing anything (thus making it appear as if it's
down), I bet it will work.

john