[geeks] Q: How to set up "private" Presto email service?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Oct 18 14:33:18 CDT 2007

>From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
>Date: 2007/10/18 Thu PM 02:05:40 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Q: How to set up "private" Presto email service?

>On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 01:50:49PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> HP has an offering called the "HP Printing Mailbox" which is a printer
>> with an embedded computer that dials an email server, downloads and
>> prints all the emails sent to a particular address. There are other
>> services as well, but that is the big one - see here for more info:
>

>> Mythought would be that I establish an email account on my server, and
>> establish a dial-in port, then I would configure a PC (WinXP, Linux,
>> other) to dial up and download and print all email as it is recieved.
>> The PC would dial my server and access a private email address,
>> hopefully eliminating "spam" email, as the address would never get
>> out...
>
>I'm confused. What part do you want to duplicate?

Both, actually.

The presto service consists of two parts, their server and the printer. I want to replace the server with my own email server  and replace the printer with a headless machine w/UPS and printer.

>The way I see it there are two ways of doing this:
>
>1. Replace the server that the HP unit dials.
>
>2. Use something completly different for the same function.

I'm thinking #2, as I can't see HP making the printer end-user configurable, and I suspect the email is sent in a form of markup language to the printer (PCL?) after being processed by the mail server...

If this isn't a quick thing to figure out, then the $10/month fee becomes not so much a problem, as that includes all dial-up costs, etc.

Lionel