[geeks] Q: How to set up "private" Presto email service?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Oct 18 13:50:49 CDT 2007

Hello all,

HP has an offering called the "HP Printing Mailbox" which is a printer with an embedded computer that dials an email server, downloads and prints all the emails sent to a particular address. There are other services as well, but that is the big one - see here for more info:

http://www.presto.com/

The printer costs $120 (color inkjet printer) but the service is $10/month...

It seems to me, that this is something that could be set up quite easily using a general-purpose computer, a printer, and a dial-in phone line.

Mythought would be that I establish an email account on my server, and establish a dial-in port, then I would configure a PC (WinXP, Linux, other) to dial up and download and print all email as it is recieved. The PC would dial my server and access a private email address, hopefully eliminating "spam" email, as the address would never get out...

Anyone know how to set something like this up easily? I've poked around Outlook and Thunderbird, but haven't found the option to do this in either software package (yet)... I suspect a *nix OS and procmail (or similar) would do it.

Pointers appreciated...

Thanks,

Lionel