[geeks] Hosting - 600GB disk - 6000GB transfer - $8 - Catch?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Oct 12 19:57:02 CDT 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, N. Miller wrote:

> I'd also concur with every single thing that Jonathan P. said about
> client interactions.  It used to be that clients were willing to admit
> they didn't know anything about networking/OSes/etc.

Oh, I didn't mean it in that light at all.

I meant it more that IT folks are responsible for a set of services, and
usually only meet with customers when those services break or don't meet
users' needs.  Since IT is responsible, they're to-blame, even if it's
not their fault.

In software, I'm completely external to the "how we got here" part of
the problem.  My involvement is entirely on the "building new widgets"
side.  That'll change with time, as my own creations start to grow grey
hair, but at least I have the option of building things robust enough
and documenting them well enough to not bite me later.  IT just doesn't
have that luxury.  For example, when "the Internet is down" because the
ISP loses the one clue they rent, it's all over IT's face, even if it's
not their fault.

--
Jonathan Patschke     )  "So far, 99% of illegal activity has been caused
Elgin, TX            (    by criminals."