[geeks] Hosting - 600GB disk - 6000GB transfer - $8 - Catch?

N. Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 17:13:44 CDT 2007

On Oct 11, 2007, at 1:47 PM, Chad McAuley wrote:

> On 10/11/07, Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za> wrote:
>> My brother asked me what I thought of vodahost.com for something
>> he is
>> thinking of hosting:
>>
>> 600 GB disk space
>> 6000 GB bandwith
>> Rate is as low as $6 per month, although you'll probably pay $8
>>
>> This sounds off to me - granted this is not *nix hosting but if I
>> had to
>> buy my own hard disk of 600GB size it would cost me more. What's the
>> catch? Is this sort of thing heavily oversubscribed?
>> Cheers,
>> Jonathan
>
> If they operate anything like Dreamhost and most other bargain
> webhosts, not only is that some severious overselling but there's
> probably also some strict CPU limits that would prevent one from
> getting anywhere near those limits with any sort of dymanic content on
> the site.

Agreed.  I'm on a shared hosting arrangement with 350GB/350GB and
it's made clear in the TOS that if you do anything to chew up server
resources excessively, they will shut you off.

My web stuff is quite lightweight, and I'm using caching for my
dynamic content to speed up presentation to the viewer, so I'm not
worried about it at this point.  I'd have preferred a VPS, but it was
far too expensive for where we are at for the moment.

=Nadine=