[geeks] Apple software: the stuff you "gotta have"

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Oct 10 11:28:05 CDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 09:11:11AM -0700, N. Miller wrote:
> Me, too.  But if you're off at the library working, or somewhere else
> where access to your test boxes is slow or fiddly, a local stack is a
> nice to have.  I replicated my subdirectory structure from the Linux
> test box locally so one easy rsync command (minus the db) sets me up
> to go out of the house.

I've long since given up on that. I use DYNDNS.org for an obscure
hostname in one of their free domains (I'm poor, what can I say)
and carry around a USB key with a copy of Putty and an encrypted
key.

If I'm at a Mac, I just use the installed version of SSH with my key.

Since the whole thing fits in a few megabytes, USB memory sticks
of that size are give away items (I said I was poor :-)
Since the key has a passphrase, if I leave the key or memeory stick
on the system, I'm safe until I get home and change it.

If someone has a key stoke logger, they get the passphrase, but
without the encrypted DSA key, it's useless.

I then can open a terminal window, run MUTT and if I need to sftp
files.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838