[geeks] Apple software: the stuff you "gotta have"

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Wed Oct 10 09:42:28 CDT 2007

On Oct 10, 2007, at 00:08, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Here is something that would help me a lot, coming from KDE: I want
> to be able to right click on the title bar of a window to send the
> window to the bottom of the pile.
>
> It helps when the screen is cluttered.

I don't know of any software that does that. However, there is
something called WindowShade X, which you or someone might like. WSX
is a cool little $10 app that lets you play with some of the window
management things, including:
* Bringing back the "roll-up" from OS 9; ie a window becomes its
title bar until you want it back.
* Letting you shrink a window down into a tiny square, sort of like
NeXTSTEP or GNUstep do, but a lot sexier.
* Make window transparent.

If you do find what you are looking for, I'd be interested to hear
about it. That sounds useful.

> Also, is there any way to tell the app switcher (apple->tab) to move
> through all windows of an application?  For example, I frequently
> want to move among terminal sessions, and the app switcher only moves
> to terminal.  I think have to use a different keystroke to move among
> terminal windows.

Not exactly, but Cmd-` cycles through all app windows. Actually, that
key combo is used in two places:
* If you Cmd-Tab, you move forward through the app list. After that,
though, if you Cmd-`, you move backward.
* If you haven't done a Cmd-Tab first, then Cmd-` cycles through all
the windows belonging to the app in the foreground.

  - Micah