[geeks] Apple software: the stuff you "gotta have"

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Wed Oct 10 07:48:28 CDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 08:16:01PM -0700, N. Miller wrote:
> * fink for all the *nixy goodness--macports is stillborn IMO--many
> ports without maintainers, etc.

Never having used fink I cannot comment, but pkgsrc works almost  (*)
flawlessly. The major packages I use from pkgsrc include: mutt, dovecot
(for imap), getmail, mysql, xemacs, vim, ruby, rubygems, synergy.
Haven't been bold enough to build gnome and kde packages, but I assume
they will "Just Work".

Cheers,
Jonathan.

(*) have seen some very minor funnies like ntfs-3g refusing to bmake
saying the OS is not supported, even though we now have macfuse (granted
- not in pkgsrc).