[geeks] Apple software: the stuff you "gotta have"

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Oct 9 17:24:21 CDT 2007

For all you mac-heads on the list, how about a list of the software
that you "just gotta have".

I've already collected a dozen or so things for my new Mac, but I'd
be interested in what you guys really like.  Free preferred of
course, but not a requirement.

Some programs I used in Linux that I'd like to get equivalents of in
MacOS X:

	- Basket: a KDE notebook/organizer program, notebook on steroids
	- Amarok: yes, I like it better than iTunes
	- *OR*: things you can add to iTunes to make it better
	- a good Usenet program
	- a good backup program that can use CD and DVD media
	- ditto but one that can use remote systems and/or CIFS servers, can
	  be the same program if it does media and server backup both
	- a program to index my documents (text files, PDFs, word processor
files,
	  etc) and possibly also organize them into neat directory trees

Things I've found that I like, at least for now:

	- Adium: for chatting with almost all of the chat systems
	- Colloquoy: for IRC
	- HandBrake: copying DVDs to my media server
	- OmniOutliner: as a possible replacement for Basket
	- Yep: for organizing/searching through documents on my system and
	  in remote locations.  It's nice, but I'm open to suggestions since
	  it doesn't quite do everything
	- iTerm: has tabs and bookmarks so it works better for some terminal
	  needs than terminal.app
	- zterm: for all of my serial terminal needs, works great so far
	- VMWare Fusion: for running FreeBSD and friends to keep me from having
	  to constantly fire up real servers.  Room much cooler now.

--
csh