[geeks] brown noise

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Oct 7 20:38:29 CDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 08:01:10PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I believe they are sincere about trying to prove/disprove myths, and
> beileve what they are saying, I just find occasional problems with their
> conclusions.

During their raft trip from Alcatraz, Adam commented that their show was
"entertainment". IMHO it's one step above the Wikipedia for reliability,
but neither Adam or Jamie are serious scientists.

There tests are fraught with mistakes, cut corners and ignorance, but
they are certainly fun to watch, and will gladly revisit a myth if
they get enough good reasons to.

Sometimes they consult real experts in the field and sometimes
they don't. Their Benjamin Franklin lightening show was so far
off the mark, I was was laughing all the way through it.

We're in the beginning of their third season here, so they may
have revisited it.

The British equivalent, Brainiac, is a little more honest in their
approach, they call their show "science abuse". :-)

Both are fun in their own ways, and my kids and I are great fans.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838