[geeks] Impulse buy are dangerous things...

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Oct 6 18:34:33 CDT 2007

I was in Norfolk today and I walked into the Apple store there.

I walked out with a Mac Pro, 2.6GHz quad-core.

It's a nice machine, and while very painful to purchase, it will
probably make me more money than it costs before a year is out.

Still, handing over the credit card I almost changed my mind.

My initial impression is that the hardware is nice except for the
keyboard and mouse.  The mouse is terrible.  The keyboard isn't
actually that bad as membrane units go.  The main problem is that it
is too small and low for comfortable use on my computer desk.  For
$2500 plus tax, they should both be much better.

I have not tried yet to see if it will work on my PC.

This machine will be my "everything" machine for some time, so I
figured it is worth the money if I keep it for 3-5 years.

If using VMWare or other virtualization software will let me shut a
couple of experimental/embedded machines I normally use for FreeBSD
development, it will already pay for itself in reduced stress.