[geeks] T-3 Coax as Audio Cable

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Oct 5 11:49:14 CDT 2007

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 01:24:42 -0400
Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dan Sikorski wrote:
> > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> >> I have two 50-ft lengths of Belden 734A coax cable.  I also have a pair
> >> of surround speakers on 7' tall stands in the back of the room.  The
> >> amplifiers for said speakers are located at the base of each speaker.
> >> Can I use said coax cable to connect the amplifiers to the processor?
> >> Will it sound ok?  Too much interference from such a long run of
> >> line-level?
> > It will sound horrible, not at all danceable.  Just ask Dave Clark.
> >
> > http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/04/1354224
> >
> > (James Randi Posts $1M Award On Speaker Cables)
>
> Does this mean it'll sound fine?  I'm having trouble parsing your message.

http://www.ilikejam.dsl.pipex.com/audiophile.htm

It's a joke of course.

It amazes me how easily duped some audiophiles are.

I've seen people spent thousands and thousands of dollars on home system, and
even modifications to their house, and they'll use it to play pop music and
rap which has the dynamic range of a cheap car stereo.

I freely admit that a lot of music technology is not very good, and I know
that CDs which the public thinks are perfect, are flawed and limited.

But some people chase phantoms to the extreme.

I love the bit about the cotton in the audio cables to reduce "acoustic
resonance", or whatever is currently popular.  If you follow this stuff for a
long time, you'll notice that the exact benefits change, and are always vague.

--
shannon           | Work for something because it is good, not just because