[geeks] Gefen DVI switcher, was Re: KVM revisited

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Oct 4 20:17:59 CDT 2007

Tue, 02 Oct 2007 @ 22:59 -0700, Nadine said:

> What about throwing a powered USB hub in there between the mobo and
> the KVM?  This might get around the issue (which sounds like it may
> be power-related).

What I ended up doing is getting a Gefen DVI switcher.

They seem to make decent products, and unlike most of the others, their
DVI switchers *DO* support EDID and the other video data standards, and
they work at 1900x1200.

Also, in case anyone needs to know: Gefen also makes a lot of units for
Mac use, including switching multiple dual-link DVI monitors and that
sort of thing.

The price really wasn't that much more than IOGear and the others.

Anyway, we'll see how it works out.  I'll post a review when I get it up
and running.

--
shannon                      | javalin: