[geeks] KVM revisited

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Oct 2 13:48:05 CDT 2007

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 14:02:13 -0400 (EDT)
nate at portents.com wrote:

> > The two computers will be a Mac and a PC.  The PC will run Windows for
> > games, and experimental OSs, mostly UNIX, for development work.  It's
> > the one most likely to change a lot, which is why I worry about KVM
> > limits and USB.
> >
> > Of course, as I said, it has an nVidia chipset, which seems to cause grief
> > for a lot of KVMs, especially IOGear.
>
> Though it's not a KVM, have you considered Synergy?  (You'd need monitors
> for each system but could share one keyboard and mouse between them
> seamlessly.)
>
> I think it's pretty slick - supports Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris,
> IRIX, etc.
>
> http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

No, I've not considered it.  I hate it, and VNC.

I guess my usage pattern is kind of either/or: I either just need a shell, or
I need the real McCoy.

I think the performance of things like Synergy and VNC suck, and I personally
find them difficult to make work well.

They are great for some situations, but unfortunately not for the one I'm in
right now.

--
shannon           | Work for something because it is good, not just because