[geeks] KVM revisited

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 2 13:25:30 CDT 2007

>From: John Francini <francini at mac.com>
>Date: 2007/10/02 Tue PM 12:30:39 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] KVM revisited

>Sounds like massively stupid behavior on the part of the device
>makers.  You'd think they'd WANT their devices to work well when
>there was a KVM between them and the computer!
>
>Short sighted lawyerly stupidity at its finest.

I think they view the response strings as proprietary, and to fail to assert
ownership is to ceede ownership to the public domain. If it was OK for one
device (say, a KVM) to emulate another, how could they argue in public court
that it is not OK for someone else (say, a competing printer) to do the same
thing.

You and I might appreciate the differences (being fairly technical/
sophisticated about such matters), but 12 folks in a jury or a non-technical
judge would likely be lost...

Lionel