[geeks] Google Images Facial Recognition!

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu May 31 13:15:16 CDT 2007

>From: Mark <md.benson at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/05/31 Thu PM 01:05:21 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Google Images Facial Recognition!

>On 31 May 2007, at 05:36, Brian Dunbar wrote:
>
>> Mark wrote:
>>> I just found an interesting note over at ARSTechnica. Apparently if
>>> you add '&imgtype=face' to the end of any Google Images search it
>>> will actually return only pictures with faces in. Is that scary or is
>>> it just me?
>>>

>> Forgive me but I worked all day then came home and put in five
>> hours of
>> moving rock around the yard - 4 tons (est) of limestone rubble is
>> now in
>> orderly rows and borders all over the place.  But I'm a little out of
>> it.  So ..
>>
>> Why is it scary?
>
>You don't even find it remotely worrying that google have started
>tracking faces? What if they refine it to pick out a persons face
>from Google images eh?

What, like &imgtype="Mark Benson"?

This is a one-time capture, not real-time! People seem to forget that - when we have a massive number of these cars[0] driving through your neighborhood AND they improve facial recognition AND you look at the car as it goes by AND Google knows your name/face connection, then, well, I guess it could be a bit frightning, but that is a bit out there, IMHO...

Lionel

[0] http://www.prdifferently.com/2007/05/what_the_immers.html