[geeks] QUESTION: RJ45 -> RS-232, using CAT5 cable

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed May 30 10:52:31 CDT 2007

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 06:08:27PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Tue, 29 May 2007 @ 17:54 -0400, Sandwich Maker said:
>
>> " From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
>> "
>> "
>> " The pinouts I've been using, which are AFAIK the "cisco"/industry
>> " standard (I've been making a lot of console server serial adapters,
>> " the same type you're using):
>> "
>> " []
>> "
>> " If I need null-modem, I just use a Cisco blue console cable that "flips"
>> " the RJ45 wiring, or use an inline coupler that does the same thing.
>>
>> 2 decades ago or so when i worked for bell labs, i learned that there
>> were 4 rj45 serial standards.  the two i can remember anything about
>> were tia/eia 568a, and 568b which iirc is the one at&t backed for pds
>> [premise distribution system] wiring.  your symmetrical layout was one
>> of the others and i always wondered why it wasn't more popular.
>> expecially when i discovered the rj45s on the 3b2 8-port card were
>> wired backwards-568b, necessitating special fixer cables.
>
> What do you guys think about the Yosh serial standard?

YM Yost?

http://yost.com/computers/RJ45-serial/

(also found in the red version of the Unix SysAdmin Handbook)

> The claim is that it eliminates 6 of the top ten RS-232 hassles.
>
> Anyone ever look at it?

I used it extensively a few gigs back.  The problem with it is you can't use
regularly wired ethernet for your interconnects.

I built a set of these and carry them in my laptop bag:

http://www.ossmann.com/5-in-1.html

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org