[geeks] QUESTION: RJ45 -> RS-232, using CAT5 cable

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue May 29 16:54:27 CDT 2007

" From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
"
" The pinouts I've been using, which are AFAIK the "cisco"/industry
" standard (I've been making a lot of console server serial adapters,
" the same type you're using):
"
" []
"
" If I need null-modem, I just use a Cisco blue console cable that "flips"
" the RJ45 wiring, or use an inline coupler that does the same thing.

2 decades ago or so when i worked for bell labs, i learned that there
were 4 rj45 serial standards.  the two i can remember anything about
were tia/eia 568a, and 568b which iirc is the one at&t backed for pds
[premise distribution system] wiring.  your symmetrical layout was one
of the others and i always wondered why it wasn't more popular.
expecially when i discovered the rj45s on the 3b2 8-port card were
wired backwards-568b, necessitating special fixer cables.

i've most commonly seen RI carried [for modems] instead of your func
X.