[geeks] FYI - Dell to start accepting orders for Ubuntu laptop/desktops

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri May 25 15:43:41 CDT 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 01:40:33PM -0700, velociraptor wrote:

> Since I could not get the dual head working at all with the OSS Nvidia
> drivers, I think that's a good enough reason to ditch them.  I want my
> workstation to *work* not crash.  Much as I like OSS, in some cases,
> it's just not mature enough to do the job.  This is definitely one of
> those cases as far as I am concerned.  But, as with all
> things--whatever tool fits.

Oh sure.  Once you have Nvidia graphics, you might as well use the
Nvidia drivers, at least for now.

Not at all relevent to your case, but still relevent to my hatred of the
ATI drivers is that on a OSS supported Radeon I was only able to get
dual head working nicely with OSS drivers.  The ATI driver insisted that
both displays had to be the same resolution, and that just wasn't
acceptable when the primary display was a laptop screen with a
resolution that common LCDs didn't support.  The OSS drivers were happy
to run the laptop at it's wierd resolution while also running an
external LCD at 1280x1024.