[geeks] FYI - Dell to start accepting orders for Ubuntu laptop/desktops

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu May 24 15:40:53 CDT 2007

On 5/24/07, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net> wrote:
> On May 24, 2007, at 4:14 PM, Sandwich Maker wrote:
>
> > " From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
> > "
> > "
> > " Just curious if anyone here has an opinion (Ha!) about Dell actually
> > " offering Linux systems for consumers?
> >
> > i'm divided.  it's bolder than stepping back from vista to xp in
> > defying the ms juggernaut, but afaik it's suse, and novell has just
> > signed a nonaggression pact with ms.  that means sasquatch is still in
> > position to collect its nickel.
>
> Ubuntu 7.04, actually.
>
> It is still a shot across MS' bow, no matter how many they sell.

The Dell salesdroid that was here today to talk about the server
roadmap claims they are investing heavily in Linux support, as it now
represents about 25% of their server market.  Perhaps this is why the
800lb gorilla in Redmond is getting annoyed, since it is likely they
are seeing similar from HP, et al wrt to x86 servers.

Said salesdroid stated this after I asked a pointed question about why
the demo tape library they sent us had zero info on the Dell website
wrt to Linux.

Obviously I'm taking his comment with a graid of salt.  They usually
inflate but rarely outright lie, IME.  YMMV.

=Nadine=