[geeks] Network Slowness

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Thu May 24 15:12:20 CDT 2007

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 02:13:26PM -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

| But I've gotten faster speeds on (100Mbps) FDDI *with identical
| encryption turned on*.  I seriously doubt my FDDI hardware performs any
| hardware acceleration of SSH encryption.

Ok, but that doesn't mean it's not worthwhile to try removing some
variables and testing speed then.

This email took longer to write than it would have taken you to use nc
or something like tcpspray to test network throughput without any ssh
or disk overhead at all.  You could also test the performance
transferring files via sftp from the same box, not going over the wire
at all.

Perhaps the problem isn't ssh at all.  And on modern hardware, ssh
should be able to go faster than what you're seeing -- but it's still
something you need to consider.

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us