[geeks] Intel Mac Mini - Horrible USB2 drive performance

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu May 24 13:19:08 CDT 2007

>From: geeks at litfire.com
>Date: 2007/05/24 Thu PM 12:25:09 CDT
>To: 'The Geeks List' <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Intel Mac Mini - Horrible USB2 drive performance

<snip>

>And for those who replied back about the superiority of Firewire... if I
>were really performance conscious, I wouldn't have gotten a Mac Mini.  I
>don't need or expect high performance.  I, however, expect that I should be
>able to stream a 2500kb/sec mp4 to my aTV, or at least have the bottleneck
>be the wireless link and not the drive.

Whoa - I have to ask, and I'm not trying to insult, but are you measuring end-to-end performance (USB HD -> Mac Mini -> WiFi -> End node)? I'd question USB interface speed, HD speed, and WiFi connection - your transfers will only be as fast as your slowest link...

How are you measuring performance level? I assume OS/X is at latest rev (10.4.9) - correct?

Lionel