[geeks] Intel Mac Mini - Horrible USB2 drive performance

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Thu May 24 10:25:41 CDT 2007

On 5/24/07, geeks at litfire.com <geeks at litfire.com> wrote:
> I have an Intel Core Duo Mac Mini I've been trying to use as my iTunes
> library device to feed my AppleTV.  I'm happy with the plan, using Handbrake
> to deal with DVD to aTV, etc.

<snip slow usb drive woes>

I do the same thing, and I get 20+ MB/s from my drive, so you may just
have a cheap/crappy chipset in your enclosure.  I'm using something
labeled "Metal Gear Box - Substance" that has USB2 and Firewire
interfaces.  I'm using the USB2 without any issue.  I think it ran me
about $30 at CompUSA a year ago.

Cheers,

Caleb