[geeks] fwd: Microsoft demands royalties for open-source software

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu May 17 11:18:25 CDT 2007

On 5/17/07, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 07:39:50AM -0700, velociraptor wrote:
> > That's funny, at the '01 LISA, there was an SA from Hotmail there who
> > claimed the whole shebang ran on Solaris & NetApp...
>
> A friend of mine used to be their head Solaris systems admin.  As far as
> I understand it, frontend was FreeBSD, backend was Solaris, storage was
> all NetApp.  She got canned for telling a manager to fuck off, so I have
> no idea what it consists of now.

I guess that makes sense.  The huge web farms required to front
something like Hotmail back in those days would have cost a fortune
with Sun gear.

Btw, thanks Mark B. for posting that link to the Sun blog.  That
explains a whole lot about Sun's current business strategy and was
quite insightful.

=Nadine=