[geeks] bootstrapping and Apple IIe over serial link

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Tue May 15 10:11:03 CDT 2007

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 05:57:46PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

| The Apple IIe has decent firmware really, since it is designed to do I/O
| from any device capable.

IN#2, baby!

I think the firmware for is actually on the card itself.  IN#2 just
tells it to take input from it.

(PR#6 tells it to print to slot six, but that's where the floppies
usually are, and so it triggered booting from one.)

| BRUN <location> on the Apple and the OS is up.

I thought BRUN loaded a program from disk?  Perhaps you're thinking of
`CALL' from Applesoft?

| Of course, an Apple II's entire OS is only about 130K... :)

It's a whole lot less than that.  The resident part of DOS 3.3 was
what, 10 KB?, with some utilities on a floppy (like FID and NIFFUM.)
ProDOS required at least 64K ram, so I'm guessing the resident part
was around 25KB.

(Looks like later versions of ProDOS used more, and ProDOS 2.0
required 128KB of memory in your Apple.  I must have used ProDOS 1.x.
Most of my Apple II time was spent with DOS 3.3.  I remember thinking
ProDOS was neat, but didn't use it that much.)

Now you're making me wish I still had mine ... curse you!

--
If A equal success, then the formula is A equals X plus Y and Z, with
X being work, Y play, and Z keeping your mouth shut --Albert Einstein