[geeks] Mensa

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sat May 12 21:38:19 CDT 2007

> I thought the SAT was sexist and racist, and was skewed towards "middle-class"
> americans? I think it's great that some colleges are no longer using SAT results
> to screen applicants...

There was an "under-representation" of certain minorities.  In other words, the
SAT is suppose to represent an estimation of how a student would do freshman
year and those minorities did better than the SAT would indicate.  The College
Board did a lot of analysis to find the bias but did not find hat was causing it
(yet).  Like the Y2K panic, most understood the problem and compansated for it.

The College Board acknowledges that the number one measure of a student's
ability is their grades during high school, number two was their
recommendations and third was the SAT scores.

> When I went to college, the SAT was harder (my opinion), a dozen years ago (or
> so) they monkeyed with the math and gave everyone another 200 points towards the
> 1600 possible points, send everyones scores higher, and I'm sure, making kids
> "feel" smarter...
>
> Lionel

The scoring was changed which did add about 100 points as I've heard it but I
have no idea why.

I've heard some colleges have dropped the SAT as a measure of ability but I think
it was because of all the prep courses which unbalanced the playing field
since only the richer parents could afford the $1K or so for them.

Bob