[geeks] Mensa

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Sat May 12 11:59:10 CDT 2007

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> The problem I have with IQ tests is the same I have with things like SAT: they
> favor people who are good at taking tests, which isn't necessarily people who
> are smart.
>
> A lot of very smart people test poorly.

That's what we tell ourselves anyway.

The service has it's own version of the IQ test - meritorious promotion
boards.  In the 90s the Marines would grant a quota of meritorious
promotions per unit - no time in grade requirements needed just to have
lady luck smile upon you.

How to make it 'fair'?  Boards.  How to ace the board?  Look sharp and
have an amazing capacity to vomit the correct answer.

Platoon Sgt: L/Cpl Dunbar, what is the muzzle velocity of your M16A2?
Me: Damn, I dunnno.  Really fricking fast?  Let me look that up ...
Platoon Sgt: You are NOT going in front of the board.

After a few years I did get pretty good at memorizing useless trivia
like that but by that time I had accumulated two NJP proceedings and so
wasn't good meritorious promotion material for other reasons.

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

GMT -6
this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Meaningful Work or Death.
Any other form of existence doesn't interest me.

Hugh Macleod