[geeks] SATA on G4 Power Mac, revisited

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun May 6 19:21:48 CDT 2007

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 03:45:46PM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> [0] http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/SATAPCI2P/

That card and the one mentioned by Phil Brutsche are both regular PCI
cards.  Exactly how good is the performance with them on a system with
other peripherals?

I'm wondering if it is worth spending double/tripple the money to get a
PCI-X card for a DA/QS G4 for the sake of supporting 64bit PCI?  Of
course, the cash increase also gets you more ports.

I guess a related question is can cards be 64bit on a card by card
basis, or does one 32bit card cause the entire system to fall back to
32bits?

Mainly I'm concerned about if having a regular PCI card is asking for
the card to end up being a bottleneck in heavy IO circumstances.