[geeks] The Dog's Breakfast: Microsoft Windows Vista

Dan Duncan danduncan at gmail.com
Sun May 6 18:41:07 CDT 2007

On 5/6/07, Mike Murphy <mrm at mole.org> wrote:
> A friend acquired a shiny, new HP laptop with Vista Home Premium. He tried it
> for a day or two, didn't like it, and wanted XP. I helped him blow away Vista
> and load XP. That's when I went to HP's site to get the drivers for XP. Oops.
> No drivers for XP, thanks very much.

I bought one that was available with Vista or XP.  When I whacked Vista, I
installed XP and went to the manufacturer's website (Dell) and downloaded
the drivers to a flash drive.  I still have one piece of hardware that
is unidentified,
but I haven't dug deeply enough to figure out what it is yet.

> Fortunately, before blowing away the
> rather bloated Vista, I had gone through the hour or two procedure to make the
> restore DVD's. Note the plural.

Eww.  Mine came with a Vista restore CD or DVD.  (I didn't look that
closely.)

My new build is still sort of a work in progress. I'll probably end up re-doing
it a few times until I figure out exactly what I want.  It came with a 160GB
HD so I spent quite a bit of time doing the partition layout.  I don't
know which
OSes I'll end up with, depending on hardware support.  I may end up running
some of them virtually.

--
Dan Duncan