[geeks] The Dog's Breakfast: Microsoft Windows Vista

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun May 6 18:12:48 CDT 2007

Lionel Peterson wrote:

> DRM hardware is required to take advantage of DRM software - that is not the
> same as requiring it for the OS to funtion at all...

I guess it depends on what you mean by function at all.

A lot of people like to play movies, and without DRM hardware, a lot of
content won't work right, and it also causes higher CPU loads.

To me, that's pretty non-functional.

I realize it is only a part of the system, but you have to remember that the
Vista release is only step one.

Eventually they want DRM required for *EVERYTHING*, even typing a letter to
grandma.

We'll revisit this topic of "functional" then... :)

> Mea culpa - they did originally require it, but dropped it (as a few pointed
> out)...

Apple also never intended to use it to implement content DRM.

It's a clone prevention system.

--
shannon                      | javalin: