[geeks] The Dog's Breakfast: Microsoft Windows Vista

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun May 6 12:54:14 CDT 2007

Sun, 06 May 2007 @ 10:28 -0700, Mike Murphy said:

> and load XP. That's when I went to HP's site to get the drivers for XP. Oops.
> No drivers for XP, thanks very much. Fortunately, before blowing away the

That's just bullshit.  No other way to say it.

It's like the artificial XP requirement some games have. Bullshit, all
of it.

Unfortunately, that's one of the tools MS plans to use to force people
to move.

I run Windows for games and a few other programs.  It probably won't be
long before I'll be pressured to update to Vista for one of three
reasons:

	- new drivers requiring it
	- new games requiring it
	- new hardware upgrades triggering #1 (drivers)

I'll eventually upgrade my hardware some years down the road, and I'll
probably be unable to find XP drivers.

> I received a bulk eMail from a MS VP of something important about how
> important it was for me that MS is putting in place anti-piracy in Vista.
> Newspeak. The anti-piracy stuff is bloated, the security stuff is bloated, the
> GUI is bloated,

Not just bloated, but it is all designed to reduce your control over
your own hardware, and your own life.

> Do folks remember how quickly the UUCP network disappeard in favor of
> Internet connectivity?

Well, I didn't stop using UUCP until at least 2000... :)

I call this apples and oranges.

People moved from UUCP because they didn't see any benefit.  Personally,
I did and still do, but the world doesn't agree.

With XP versus Vista, the issue is being forced on your regardless of
merit, and in this case, in obvious opposition to it.

> It seems that massive system change snaps from one state to another
> rather than blending. I wonder if Vista may be the force that snaps
> usage to Linux. It wouldn't make me sad at all.

We'll see.

The only thing that keeps me using Windows is artificial software
requirements.

Something else to think about: big business wants heavily control over
our lives and how we use data.

The only way they've been able to even think about that so far is
because a single OS dominates, and its creator is compliant with their
wishes.

Break Windows, and you break everyone whose draconian wet dreams depend
on it as well.

--
shannon / 4649 5920 4320 204e 4452 5420 5348 5920 4820 2056 2054 434d 2048
-------'  4d54 2045 204e 5259 4820 444e 0a53