[geeks] Virtual Colocation

Jeremy Grosser synack at csh.rit.edu
Fri May 4 01:20:34 CDT 2007

Slicehost also gives 100 GB of transfer monthly at 100 Mbps, burstable
to 1 Gbps (provided that other people hosted on the same box are using
minimal amounts of throughput). Unfortunately, Slicehost doesn't
support any of the BSDs at the moment. They're waiting for the FreeBSD
port to stabilize a bit and they'll need to rework their
infrastructure a bit to get it working (or so I'm told).

At the moment, Slicehost's problem is that they're growing faster than
they can keep up. That, added to the fact that they're hosted in a
fairly small datacenter [1] will probably make for some troublesome
growing pains within the next few months. They're looking into getting
some space in a couple other datacenters, but I have no idea how far
along with the capacity planning.

Overall, Slicehost is run by a decent group of people that seem to
know what they're doing. While they may be dealing with a few issues
right now, I have no doubt that they'll eventually work it out. (and I
always liked cheering for the little guy anyway)

[1] http://www.datotel.com/
--
Jeremy Grosser
www.neohippie.net