[geeks] Virtual Colocation

Jeremy Grosser synack at csh.rit.edu
Thu May 3 18:38:14 CDT 2007

I've been using Slicehost [1] for about two months now and am quite
impressed. They have a policy of not overselling and their admins are on IRC
fairly often. The only disadvantage is that they've got quite a long waiting
list due to their limit of 24 VMs to a single host (each host is a quad
processor Xeon with 32 GB of RAM). They run Xen for all of the
virtualization so you're limited to major Linux distributions for
installation (Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, CentOS, Gentoo). Their prebuilt images
install in about two minutes after which, you'll get an email with an IP and
a root password.

They're a newcomer to the VPS market, but having seen the competition, I'd
say they're selling a decent bang for the buck ($20/month gets you 256 MB of
RAM and 10 GB of disk)

[1] http://www.slicehost.com/

--
Jeremy Grosser