[geeks] Starship troopers and others, was replacing an Ultra2

Steve Haavik shaavik at soc.lib.md.us
Tue May 1 06:40:23 CDT 2007

> OTOH, I've heard that the comics that were published by Dark Horse, as
> well as the animated series "Roughnecks - The Starship Troopers
> Chronicles" are pretty good.  Anyone familiar with these?

I've got the first couple of DVDs of the animated series and liked them
better than either of the movies. I haven't seen the comics but I don't
see how they could possibly be as bad as the second movie. I assume there
will be a graphic novel at some point.

http://www.amazon.com/Roughnecks-Starship-Troopers-Chronicles-Campaigns/dp/B0009I8QI6/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-2719898-5099117?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1178018596&sr=8-1

Hmm. Here's a chunk of the Amazon.com review.
The Complete Campaigns is a four-disc compilation of the Roughnecks: The
Starship Troopers Chronicles series that was originally released on eight
DVDs: The Pluto Campaign, The Hydora Campaign, The Tophet Campaign, The
Tesca Campaign, The Zephyr Campaign, The Klendathu Campaign, Trackers
(including the four bonus episodes), and The Homefront Campaign. While
Paul Verhoeven's dark, satirical adaptation of Robert Heinlein's Starship
Troopers seriously strayed from the novel, this Verhoeven-produced TV
series--part sequel, part remake, all CGI animated--hews closer to the
spirit of the novel, a space-age twist on a World War II battle adventure.
Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles is a series of military
skirmishes and assignments on a variety of fronts, such as Bug City,
water-dominated Hydora, the desert planet Tophet, the jungle planet Tesca,
fiery Klendathu, and good old Earth.

I'd say that's fairly accurate from what I remember of the series. I
laughed when I saw that Amazon is pushing it with "Space Above and
Beyond".