[geeks] My network configuration

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 19:44:09 CDT 2007

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>> Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>> I'd use OpenBSD in that application rather than NetBSD, but that's
>>> mostly just individual preference.
>> I'd say that it's *100%* personal preference.  There's effectively no
>> difference.
>
> Oh, there are differences.  Security philosophy, platform support, and
> console support, for starters.

For the vast majority of setups, none of those matter.

How many people are going to be using a DEC PMAX or Amiga to be their
router?  How many of the security corrections to OpenBSD don't make it
into the other BSD's?

Like I said, the differences aren't enough to make any difference in the
preponderance of cases.  Most of the difference between them that impact
on people's use of them as routers, only impact in the area of user
interface.  Also most of the difference can't necessarily be considered
good or bad.  Just different.  That's why I said it was completely a
matter of personal preference.

Now the difference in the behavior and performance between *BSD and
Linux, on the other hand, can be easily noticed, measured and
quantified.  Although, I still wouldn't argue with anyone who say that
the use of *BSD versus Linux for a router is still *largely* a matter of
personal preference.

Peace...  Sridhar