[geeks] configuring new mail server: need information on private LAN setup

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Sat Mar 24 14:01:07 CDT 2007

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 11:48:07 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> sendmail configuration has not required messing with sendmail's
> language in a long time now.
>
> You edit your site config, usually under a dozen lines, generate
> sendmail.cf, and then edit some tables.

Only for relatively simple configurations. My last sendmail.mc (dating
to the time of the Lovebug 'virus' more or less) contained more cf in it
than mc; whilst Sendmail has improved over the years, what I do in an
MTA has increased in complexity 5 fold so I dare say if I were still
doing it in Sendmail, my mc would still contain lots of cf.

> In any case, I'm having the same issues getting postfix to work in my
> setup as sendmail, so for me both are a real PITA.

Hmm. Odd. It may be worth trying to capture what both Sendmail and
Postfix are trying to send with tcpdump.

> Despite what I would think is a common setup (a private LAN with a
> full MTA and a dynamic WAN IP address), there is very little
> documentation on how to set that up.

You mean like :-

http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html

The most obvious problem with running an MTA in a private LAN is that
the MTA needs to be told the fqdn of the wan ip address but I think
you've got that covered.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
        It's a bad idea to let third parties generate outbound mail