[geeks] configuring new mail server: need information on private LAN setup

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Sat Mar 24 02:41:57 CDT 2007

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 03:41:25PM -0500, Michael Parson wrote:
> Not to start a holy war or anything, but as long as you are starting
> over, might I suggest you move to Postfix?  The config is much easier to
> manage and understand, plus the FAQ on postfix.org covers most of the
> stuff you might want to do.

Agreed. One other thing to be aware of - NetBSD 4.0 and later will no
longer ship with sendmail in the base system. postfix, which has been in
the base system for many releases (back to the 1.x [1.5?] days) but was not
the default MTA, has replaced sendmail as the default MTA. Of course,
sendmail will remain available in pkgsrc.

FWIW, the reason to remove sendmail was based on its poor security record.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mjturner.net/
mj at turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/