[geeks] configuring new mail server: need information on private LAN setup

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Mar 23 21:02:43 CDT 2007

" From: Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org>
"
" On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 18:23:40 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
" > This happened because I'm stupid.
"
" Well Sendmail has a habit of doing that to everyone.
"
" > However, if I send mail from the mail server itself, it doesn't
" > rewrite the from address, so the email bounces because the user is
" > unknown (i.e. the address is an unroutable domain).
"
" I seem to recall you need to have a few more masquerade options ... at
" least masquerade_as. Quick google indicates :-
"
" MASQUERADE_AS(mymailname.myisp.com)
" MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(myprivatedomain)
" FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
" FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)

i have
MASQUERADE_AS(`$m')
in my sendmail.mc

in full:

OSTYPE(`solaris8')dnl
DOMAIN(`solaris-antispam')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(`$m')dnl
define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/opt/sfw/bin/procmail')dnl
FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl
FEATURE(nouucp,reject)dnl
FEATURE(smrsh)dnl
define(`LUSER_RELAY',`local:unknown')dnl
define(`confDOMAIN_NAME',`$m')dnl
define(`confEIGHT_BIT_HANDLING',`pass8')dnl
define(`confFALLBACK_MX',smtp.gis.net)dnl
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS',goaway)dnl
define(`confSAVE_FROM_LINES',True)dnl
define(`confSMTP_LOGIN_MSG',`$m server; $b')dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl

i'm not sure i need confDOMAIN_NAME, as i vaguely recall sendmail will
figure it out from hostname and fqdn, and i'm not actually sure what
confEIGHT_BIT_HANDLING does for me.

i haven't tried sending mail from another machine through this one,
but i've send mail to it from another.  as for receiving mail - i
always planned to have only one receiver and nfs-mount /var/mail
around.