[geeks] configuring new mail server: need information on private LAN setup

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Fri Mar 23 17:39:54 CDT 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 18:23:40 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> This happened because I'm stupid.

Well Sendmail has a habit of doing that to everyone.

> However, if I send mail from the mail server itself, it doesn't
> rewrite the from address, so the email bounces because the user is
> unknown (i.e. the address is an unroutable domain).

I seem to recall you need to have a few more masquerade options ... at
least masquerade_as. Quick google indicates :-

MASQUERADE_AS(mymailname.myisp.com)
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(myprivatedomain)
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)

No guarantees ... a few million mail messages may have gone through my
Sendmail servers but that was a few hundred million messages ago.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 Power corrupts; Powerpoint corrupts absolutely.