[geeks] Come here often?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Mar 19 09:10:47 CDT 2007

" From: Jeff Cole <jeff at flambe.org>
"
" On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 06:45:32AM -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
" > Bill Bradford wrote:
" > > On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 03:09:28AM -0400, Jeff Cole wrote:
" > >> All of our Suns (and Linux and AIX) at $work use ntpdate <timeserver>
" > >> called via cron. That seems to work every time.
" > >
" > > Why that instead of running ntpd?
" >
" > Indeed.  As far as I can tell, ntpd would be superior in nearly every
" > regard.
"
" It's one of those legacy things that just won't die (much like tinydns
" as our prod dns servers)
"
" Suffice to say that the network is setup in such a way that the only way
" to sync via ntp is to sync via the closest firewall interace. The
" firewalls themelves sync via the Naval Observatory I think.

can you set the firewalls up to broadcast time over your network?  the
larger it is, the better that would be over ntpdate hits.