[geeks] Come here often?

Jeff Cole jeff at flambe.org
Mon Mar 19 07:43:06 CDT 2007

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 06:45:32AM -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Bill Bradford wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 03:09:28AM -0400, Jeff Cole wrote:
> >> All of our Suns (and Linux and AIX) at $work use ntpdate <timeserver>
> >> called via cron. That seems to work every time.
> >
> > Why that instead of running ntpd?
>
> Indeed.  As far as I can tell, ntpd would be superior in nearly every
> regard.

It's one of those legacy things that just won't die (much like tinydns
as our prod dns servers)

Suffice to say that the network is setup in such a way that the only way
to sync via ntp is to sync via the closest firewall interace. The
firewalls themelves sync via the Naval Observatory I think.

--
It's not working because:  evil hackers from Serbia.