[geeks] Come here often?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Mar 18 19:55:01 CDT 2007

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:28:54 -0500
Phil Brutsche <phil at tux.obix.com> wrote:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Most of the time I have pretty good luck with it, but ntp requires too
> > much babysitting, and I think it needs work, debugging, or maybe a
> > rewrite.
>
> The OpenBSD folks have that last bit covered (OpenNTPd)
>
> Dunno if it works any better.

I wonder if the problem is some internal heuristic that determines if a
server is trustable, and it occasionally messes up, even in the most
base "use this server" configuration.

It appears that with even the most simple configuration, ntpd still runs some
kind of tests to see if a server is worthy and disobeys your configuration.

Usually it is temporary, but the problem with that is if your clock drifts
too far during the "bad time", when ntpd starts working again, it will be
too far off to change.

I guess that's really the real problem: intermittent issues with your "time
network" cause the drift to pass limits of correction, making the problem
appear worse than it really is.

--
shannon
     \                         | And in billows of might swell the Saxons