[geeks] How low can you go...

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Mar 16 15:28:23 CDT 2007

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 14:54:47 -0400 (EDT)
der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> wrote:

> 9600 baud SLIP is about 960 bytes/sec.  A back-of-the-envelope
> calculation says that at that rate an install of recent NetBSD would
> finish overnight.
Modulo time to set up SLIP / PPP. I thought of it, but don't have any
SLIP / PPP expertise. So it was far faster to mount the disk in an other
PeeCee. Especially as that PeeCee, an embedded controler board, has a
2.5" IDE disk connector and is able to boot from CDROM.

And, most important: I did get around booting from floppies. Every time
I have to boot from flopies it ends in a nightmare. I think I haven't
seen an error free 3.5" floppy for nearly a decade.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen