[geeks] How low can you go...

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 14:56:27 CDT 2007

On 3/16/07, Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> wrote:
> > And also what do you use it for?
> Serial terminal. It is a bit more handy then the VT520. (A real VT520 in
> my case of course.) I'll add ssh capabilities once I can get my fingers
> on a PCMCIA network card.

I have a Zenith mastersport (386 sx?) laptop with grayscale screen.
Good old Dos/telix. Perfect match for my E5500. I mounted a bracket in
the door, and I put a folding chair between the E5500 and wall. Out of
sight when not in use, if I need to get on the console/OBP, I swing
the E5500 door open (actually an E5000 cabinet, the E5000 was upgraded
to all the E5500 bits), lock the laptop support and pull the chair
out, and voila, instant console a la E10000. Much cheaper than an LCD
vt terminal and more practical than a CRT terminal...

> > Are you running X also?
> No, not with 8 MB RAM. I had to compile a custom kernal also.

I think I have 4MB on mine.

Francois